Wednesday, July 1, 2015

I haven't been taking many photos of my travels

I've been seeing a lot but I find it hard to discern what I want to document photographically. I often feel like taking photos of a big city is a waste of time as it is now so easy to retrieve a million images of that city. I always ask myself, 'what will I want to look back on?' and 'why do I need to take this photo?'

Photography is a strange medium to me; I use it a lot, yet it is always for documentation or as a means to realise an idea in a different medium. I feel so overwhelmed with the amount of photographic images I see each day that my reaction is to try and produce a minimal amount of my own photographs. I still feel obliged to carry my camera with me everywhere though.

If one of my reasons for not taking many photographs is the dread of looking back on a mountain of images and being unable to find the information that I'm looking for then why do I also carry around my journal each day and fill it up with pages of illegible writing that is incredibly difficult to read back through? It seems I view the process of photographing very differently to writing. How do I view drawing?


Today I took two photographs, both at the Tate Liverpool. I realised just now that they are both of windows.

Lucy McKenzie, Side Entrance 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment