Sunday, September 20, 2015

You can run free inside a box...

I feel like I am on a continual quest for the 'right' studio and I'm always coming up with different theories of what works. 

Today's theory: I work alone but I benefit from having at least one other like-minded person around, also working; someone who I can riff ideas with or get them to take photos for me (and vice versa). It can take a while for me to focus, but once I am honed in on something I like my silence and space to create my own little world within the studio. It's important for me to feel a little tucked away with my materials around me and books, suitcases and passing objects scattered around my peripheral. 
I felt hemmed in earlier today but I've moved some boards and set up a few metres squared where I can bounce back and forth. It's working...for now. I find that the working space I require is constantly shifting. I like to come to somewhere familiar but I also have a need to travel and refresh my mind.

How do your surroundings influence what you do? Does the space dictate the work?

I want to go inside and read now. I couldn't possibly open a book out here...

No comments:

Post a Comment